POLICY #810.2 - Transportation - Video/Audio Recordings
The use of video and audio recording equipment supports efforts to maintain discipline and to ensure the safety and security of all students, staff, contractors and others being transported on district-owned, operated, or contracted school buses or school vehicles.
Under PR School Board Policy#816 (Use of Video Surveillance Cameras), the district is permitted to use
video surveillance in any school building, on school district property, or on
any transportation vehicle being used by the district.
The district does
monitor district buildings, property and transportation vehicles with
surveillance cameras and individuals using any such facilities should expect
that such surveillance may occur.
- The district shall notify its students, staff and parents that video surveillance may occur in school buildings, on any school property or on any transportation vehicle. The district shall incorporate the notice into the student discipline code and in staff handbooks.
- The use of video surveillance equipment on transportation vehicles shall be supervised by the district transportation coordinator. The use of video surveillance equipment in schools, on school grounds and on other district property shall be supervised an
d controlled by the building administrator or other responsible administrator.
- The use of video recordings from surveillance equipment shall be subject to other policies of the district, including policies concerning the confidentiality of student and staff records.
- If it is determined through an investigation that a student has committed an unlawful or unsafe act in violation of school rules, appropriate disciplinary consequences will be administered.
- Any type of activity detected through the use of video surveillance cameras that might constitute a violation of law will be reported immediately to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
POLICY #810.2 - Transportation - Video/Audio Recording
In addition, under PR School Board Policy Policy#810.2, the board authorizes the use of
video and audio recording on school buses and school vehicles for security and
disciplinary purposes. The board prohibits the use of
audio recording on any school bus or school vehicle that is not being used for a
school-related purpose. The board directs the superintendent or designee to ensure that each school bus and school vehicle that is equipped with video and
audio recording equipment contains a clearly posted notice informing drivers
and passengers of the potential for video and audio recording.
This policy is also included in the student handbook
and in any other district publication that sets forth the comprehensive rules,
procedures and standards of conduct.If audio recording is being used on a district transportation vehicle, a notice indicating that such recording may occur will be placed within the vehicle.
The district shall comply with the provisions of federal and state
law and regulations regarding the district’s use, confidentiality and
disclosure of recordings.