PR-NHS Process for Selection:
1. All rising juniors and seniors who have a cumulative GPA of 3.75 or higher will be mailed a candidacy packet in late June/early July with an invitation to apply to NHS. Current members do NOT need to reapply, but must maintain the qualifying GPA to avoid dismissal. New and returning students must have completed at least one documented semester of high school at Pine-Richland to be eligible for application. Applications and induction occur only in the fall.
Packets are mailed in late June or early July and must be submitted by the deadline indicated in the application materials. (Deadline will always be in early September).
Candidacy packets should include:
- invitation letter (white)
- selection criteria (white)
- candidacy checklist (white)
- membership requirement agreement (green)
- 2 teacher recommendation forms (blue)
- community member recommendation form (purple)
- 2 leadership evaluation forms (yellow) **NOTE: for the 2022-2023 school year, candidates will only receive ONE leadership evaluation form**
2. All complete applications will be reviewed by the Pine-Richland Faculty Council. A vote by the council will occur on each application. Only fully complete applications will be reviewed. The council carefully reviews every detail of the application including all supplemental materials, recommendations, and evaluations. Acceptance is not guaranteed and is a privilege for those that demonstrate evidence of the four pillars of the National Honor Society. NHS is not an honor roll. GPA only determines whether a student is invited to apply. Acceptance is based upon the student's commitment to the other three pillars of the organization: leadership, service, character. Candidates must be able to demonstrate two quality leadership experiences and 20 hours of documented service completed since the start of ninth grade. **NOTE: for the 2022-2023 school year, candidates must be able to demonstrate ONE quality leadership experience completed since the start of ninth grade.**
3. Once acceptance is determined, invitations to the induction ceremony will be mailed to the student's home. Accepted students must attend the induction ceremony (in late October).
4. Newly inducted members will begin their membership by attending the October monthly meeting.
5. Students must meet all chapter requirements and maintain the qualifying GPA to remain NHS members. Dismissed members may NOT reapply the following year.