Please be sure your child's immunizations are in compliance with the Pennsylvania Department of Health & Allegheny County guidelines before the beginning of the school year.
Please note the updated requirements for rising seniors, which became effective in 2017. Immunizations for 7th and 12th graders are required before the start of school.
In accordance with the Allegheny County Health Department and the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the following immunizations are required for school enrollment/attendance:
For attendance, children in ALL grades (K-12) need the following vaccines on the first day of school, unless the child has a medical or religious/philosophical exemption. A child must have had at least one dose of the following vaccinations or risk exclusion. Free vaccines are only provided by the Allegheny County Health Department. Those with insurance should obtain vaccines through their health care provider. Call 412-578-8062 for more information.
● 4 doses of tetanus* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
● 4 doses of diphtheria* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
● 4 doses of polio *** ( 1 dose on or after the 4th birthday )
● 2 doses of measles**
● 2 doses of mumps**
● 1 dose of rubella (German measles) **
● 3 doses of hepatitis B
● 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
*Usually given as DTP, DTaP or if medically advisable, DT or Td
**Usually given as MMR
*** Afourth dose is not necessary if the third dose was administered at age 4 years or older and at least 6 months after the previous dose.
Children in 7th Grade need the following ADDITIONAL immunizations for entry:
- 1 dose meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) [if five years have elapsed since last tetanus immunization]
Children in 12th Grade need the following additional immunizations:
- 1 dose of MCV by the first day of 12th grade:
- If one dose was given at 16 years of age or older, that shall count as the twelfth grade dose. On the first day of 12th grade, unless the child has a medical or religious/philosophical exemption, a child must have had the vaccine or risk exclusion.
- Send updated Immunization records to have your physician complete this form and send it to school.
If a child does not have all the doses listed above, needs additional doses, and the next dose is medically appropriate, the child must receive that dose within the first five days of school or risk exclusion. If the next dose is not the final dose of the series, the child must provide a medical plan card signed by his/her doctor within the first five days of school for obtaining the required immunizations or risk exclusion. Your school nurse can provide you with a blank medical plan card.
If a child does not have all the doses listed above, needs additional doses, and the next dose is not medically appropriate, the child must provide a medical plan within the first five days of school for obtaining the required immunizations or risk exclusion.
The medical plan must be followed or risk exclusion.
These requirements allow for the following exemptions: medical reason, religious belief, or philosophical/ strong moral or ethical conviction. Even if your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be excluded from school during an outbreak of vaccine-preventable disease.The school nurse maintains official Pennsylvania immunization record for each student. When your child receives additional immunizations, please send information to the school nurse, so your child's record may be updated.