Policy 118: Independent Study
The PR School Board shall support the approval of a course of independent study for a properly qualified student, as recommended by the superintendent, on the condition that the student will demonstrate achievement of established academic standards as a result of participation in the independent study.
The purposes of independent study shall be to:
- Extend the learning experience of the course or courses within the Pine-Richland Program of Studies.
- Develop a student's judgment and self-reliance in the conduct of the learning experience.
- Relate academic knowledge to the world of work and learning beyond the school.
- Draw upon community resources as well as school resources for a student's educational program.
- Include a greater variety of learning experiences within the educational program.
- Identify and explore an area of particular interest.
- Set personal learning goals and work toward achieving them, with appropriate staff guidance.
- Learn to utilize various research tools and methods.