|Frequently Asked Questions
Who is my Guidance Counselor?
- David Hoover is the counselor for students whose last name begins with A-E
- Jennifer Bowers is the counselor for students whose last name begins with the letters F-K
- Toni Filipowski is the counselor for students whose last name begins with the letters L-Q
- Leslie Straub is the counselor for students whose last name begins with the letters R-Z
When should my child take the PSAT/SAT/
Students should take the test in their sophomore year for practice if
they have had geometry. All college-bound students should take the
in their junior year, even if they have already taken it in sophomore
year. Students who score high as a junior may qualify for National
Merit status and possible scholarships
- SAT/ACT: All college bound students should take these tests during the junior and senior years. Most juniors take the SAT/
ACT for the first time in the spring of 11th grade but they may be taken in the fall or winter if Algebra 2 has been completed
How often is the
PSAT is offered once a year in October
Should my child take the writing section of the
- Since there is a writing section on the
SAT it is recommended that the writing section be taken on the
What is the difference between the
SAT Reasoning Test and the
SAT Subject Test?
SAT Reasoning test has three sections - Critical Reading, Math, Writing
SAT Subject Test are one hour tests on a specific subject which many selective colleges may require in addition to the
SAT Reasoning or the
How do I know if my child should take the
SAT Subject Test?
with the college directly to see what the test requirements are before
applying in the senior year. The Subject Tests are recommended for
highly selective colleges. Some colleges will accept the
ACT test as a replacement
How do I register for
PSAT / SAT/ACT?
- PSAT: Juniors do not need to register. Information will be available in September for interested 10th grade students.
- SAT: Register online at www.collegeboard.com
- ACT: Register online at www.actstudent.org
What is placed on the high school transcript?
- Final grade for each course a student completes during his/her high school career
- Course title, credit attempted, credit completed and term
GPA for each year
- Student"s academic
GPA, total credits attempted, total credits earned and testing information
- Enter date, graduation year of the student and the 11th grade
PSSA results for Math, Reading and Writing
How do I know whether or not to include my rank on my transcript?
should meet with their guidance counselor to determine whether they
should request their rank appear on the transcript
What is sent to the colleges besides my transcript?
Colleges are sent the :
- Student"s senior class schedule
- Secondary School Report
requested, a counselor recommendation will also be sent (Students must
supply a resume to his/her counselor). Please allow ten days for the
counselor to complete and mail
What are the requirements for Honor Roll?
are eligible for the Honor Roll each term if they have a grade point
average of 3.25 or above. Students may not have an I, D or F for the
term just ended
How do you qualify for National Honors Society?
- Students and parents should refer to the NHS website for additional information and admission criteria.