2019-2020 Health Services & Immunization Info Page

  • Immunizations


    Health Exams 

    • Physical Exams: Rising Grades 6 & 11 - Physical Examinations are required for all students entering grades 6 and 11. You may use the District's Physical Examination Form or a computer printout of the physical with the doctor's signature. 
    • Dental Exams: Rising Grades 3 & 7 - Dental Examinations are required for all students entering grades 3 and 7. You may use the Dental Examination Form or the dentist's signed printout.
    Completed physical & dental exam forms dated after Sept. 1, 2018, will be accepted. Forms are due by October 1, 2019. Forms may be mailed to the school over the summer in the envelope marked "Attn: School Nurse". 
    • Sports Physicals - Please read important information for 2018-2019 Sports Physicals.  Fall Sports Physicals MUST be turned in by Aug. 5, 2019, for the opening of Fall Sports on Aug. 12, 2019.  Winter Sports Physicals MUST be turned in by Nov. 11, 2019, for the opening of Winter Sports on Nov. 18, 2019.  Spring Sports Physicals MUST be turned in by Feb. 24, 2020, for the opening of Spring Sports on March 2, 2020.

    Dietary Considerations

    The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania School Nutrition Program must comply with the Federal Regulations in providing food service to children with special needs.  If your student has a food allergy that requires a substitution, a doctor's prescription must be on file with the school nurse. A new prescription must be provided every year.
    Download the Medical Plan of Care for School Food Service, which includes the Federal Regulations and guidelines at the top. Have your doctor complete the form to arrange for substitutions when writing the medical prescription. Students without a medical statement for a substitute will be charged ala carte pricing for substitution. 

    Medication at School

    If you believe your child will require medication at school during the 2018-2019 school year, please download the 
    Medication Permission form. Ask your child's doctor to complete this form over the summer and bring the signed form with the prescribed medication on the first day of school. Check the expiration dates on all Inhalers, Epi-pens, and diabetic supplies to ensure they will last through the end of the current school year. 


    Food Allergies: If your child has a life-threatening food allergy and requires an epi-pen at school, please have your doctor complete this Food Allergy Action Plan and bring this completed plan with the medication on the first day of school. For grades K-6, we are asking that parents complete a Self-Management Allergy Checklist to be submitted at the beginning of next school year. 
    Attention High & Middle School Families: If your student will be carrying his/her epi-pen or inhaler, please complete the Permission to Carry Epi-Pens/Inhalers/Diabetic Supplies Form and return to your building's school nurse. This is in addition to the school district's medication form.

    Pediculosis Update

    The Health Services Department has been working to revise and update the internal procedures related to pediculosis (head lice), to be in alignment with regulatory and research agencies, including the Allegheny County Health DepartmentCenter for Disease ControlNational Association of School Nurses, and American Academy of Pediatrics. Each of these agencies shares consistent beliefs about the best response practices, which will be updated within our internal protocol when head lice are discovered. The new protocol will be implemented in the 2018-2019 school year. To learn more, you can visit the Health Services website. Additional information will be shared with parents in the new school year.