Wexford Elementary Music
The Music Department believes that the role of music instruction in the schools is to provide opportunities for children to discover their innate musical abilities in a safe, fun and collaborative classroom environment. Music-making is a human behavior across all cultures, and all students deserve the chance to find their place in the culture of music in the school community and beyond. In addition to building musicianship, studying music allows for full use of the brain and facilitates learning and healing on many levels. Musical skills and behaviors learned in school will serve students for life.Click here to learn more about the benefits of music education.At Wexford Elementary School, students receive music instruction once per week for 40 minutes.Curriculum is based on the nine National Standards for Music Education, which are:
1. Singing,alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire ofmusic.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplinesoutside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.