A Safe School EnvironmentSchool Safety
Please know that the district is working directly with our school safety officer, the Northern Regional Police Department, and security experts to continue to provide the most secure and safe environment possible. Please review a recent message from the superintendent of schools about school safety. The district is taking the following steps to make safety a priority.
Please note many of these steps have already been in place and continue to be in place, and there are many details that are not shared with the public as not to compromise our security.We are fortunate to have a community willing to help during difficult times and neighboring school districts who partner with us. We need your help in keeping our buildings even more secure. We are asking you to make an appointment if you are visiting a school building. We understand last-minute needs might occur, but scheduling an appointment will help us with our efforts.Please know that we will continue to address school safety and update you periodically.
- Strong partnership with Northern Regional Police Department
- Increased monitoring of school grounds by Northern Regional
- Continued monitoring of grounds by Security Officer
- Scrutiny of all campuses to provide a safe environment for children and staff
- Review and update of Emergency Operation Plan
- Ongoing meetings with Northern Regional Police and Review of Grounds
- Training by security and safety experts
- Drills on an ongoing basis with staff and students
- Cooperation with visitors to make the best effort to schedule an appointment when visiting a school and following visitor procedures
- Cooperation with district, staff, students, parents, and community, to report suspicious activity or people
Northern Regional Police DepartmentThe Northern Regional Police Department works cooperatively with our staff and administration to ensure a safe school environment. Students and community support are critical to this effort. 724-449-TIPS is a joint service of the police department, North Pittsburgh Telephone Company, and the school district. Dial this number at any time to anonymously report suspicious activity that could pose a threat or danger to our school community.
Use of Video Surveillance CamerasA safe school environment is a top priority. The Board of School Directors approves the use of electronic surveillance systems to monitor activity in school buildings, on school property, and in school vehicles as one measure of protection.
The use of video recordings from surveillance equipment is subject to Board Policy 816 and other district policies, including policies concerning the confidentiality of student and staff records.
If it is determined through an investigation that a student has committed an unlawful or unsafe act in violation of school rules, appropriate disciplinary consequences will be administered.
Any type of activity detected through the use of video surveillance cameras that might constitute a violation of the law will be reported immediately to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
Emergency Operations Plan
If an emergency should occur on school grounds, Pine-Richland School District has developed an Emergency Operations Plan to keep your child(ren) safe.